Grenadine is normally pomegranate and sugar based. If you want to vary from the traditional, you can use cherry, orange, apple, grapefruit, lemon, or pineapple juice.
Traditional Grenadine Recipe
- If using Pomegranates: Cut the pomegranate in half and juice using a citrus press. You should get about 1 cup of juice from the pomegranates. If you get less than 1 cup, adjust the amount of sugar to match the volume of the pomegranate juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat
- Optional: stir in lemon juice
- Allow mixture to cool completely
- Pour into an airtight bottle
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Discard if it:
- smells off
- has a film
- hisses when open —(like a carbonated drink)
- becomes cloudy